Minions! I Need More Minions!

Ah, who am I kidding? I'd settle for a single starter minion. /smirk

Things are busybusybusy IRL ("in real life" for those who are net-speak challenged), but I feel obligated to post something to keep things rolling around here. Besides: spring is in the air - you know, the time of year when a young man's fancy turns to love (or so They say).

Of course, not being a young man anymore (I wish) and never having been one to put much stock in what They say, I find that this time of year my fancy turns to... horror and madness. Specifically, I'm finding myself ruminating on the idea of running a Call of Cthulhu campaign. (Probably "Masks of Nyarlathotep" - a direction in which I'm leaning thanks to Badmike's recent post on this very topic.)

As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm a big fan of the game, but I like to use the third-edition incarnation of the system. In that post I offered up for your consideration a character sheet to use with said edition. Since I'm also a big fan of consistency, here's Chaosium's "Minion Master" sheet, revised to match the style of the third-edition character sheet:





Comments

  1. Masks is the gift that keeps on giving, I say give it a go. The only advice I'd offer is to do some extensive preparation, it's so big (that's what she said, heh) that things can get jumbled during the heat of the campaign. I kept a notebook with all the separate locations with the main baddies and areas of investigation noted with page number for easy reference.
    Also I noticed that like a lot of us you are having trouble finding "minions" for your games. CoC does require a bit more of a committment than a lot of other RPGs, and many veteran RPGers (especially D&D gamers) have a tough time with the game...my usual group went through characters like dead flys since they would inevitably load up on guns, dynamite, and more guns, try to shoot it out with the baddies, and get their lunch eaten.

    My advice? As long as you have two (or maybe even one) member of your group with a firm grasp of the rules and sensibilities of Lovecraftian adventure, don't be afraid to fill in the other spots with some "non-gamer" types that won't bring in any preconcieved notions or methods of playing. In my retelling of our jaunt through Masks, I make note we had two players who were only minimally affiliated with playing RPGS (and one that was gaming his first time ever). They had as much fun as anyone else and didn't drag down play at all...actually, their non-D&D or traditional gaming background may have been a plus, they knew when to run away instead of firing away!

    Good luck finding some gamers willing to share this great game with you; I myself haven't had a CoC campaign and years and would love to get one going again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment